Here is where I compile all the drivers I see speeding on my road and others, who disregard traffic law and public safety to get from A to B before anyone else. When possible I will get a photo of the car as the crime is committed, and I will be doing the exact speed limit at the time.
- 7.23.2007 at 0822, Pulaski Hwy, Pine Island, NY – black Chevy Trailblazer – NY license plate HAVEF8TH sped past in the 45mph zone and just kept going, well over the posted limit. HAVEF8TH? I’ve got to have faith to drive on the same road as this guy.
- 7.23.2007 at 0823, Pulaski Hwy, Pine Island, NY – black Nissan Sentra – NC license plate NXF2870 first tailgated the crap out of me and then passed me over the double-yellow line about 100 feet before the 45mph passing zone and just kept going. She even passed the same green landscaping trailer as the aforementioned Trailblazer, only when she did it she went straight in to oncoming traffic after the 45mph passing zone had ended and cut it so close that she had to cut off the pickup truck pulling the landscaping trailer and forced oncoming traffic to swerve. The humorous part of this is that both the Trailblazer and the Sentra pulled over together about 100 feet after this incident either because she hit him or they were meeting up on purpose. The Trailblazer eventually caught back up to me in the 35mph zone and kept his distance for the remainder of the ride.
- 7.23.2007 at 1719 – Pulaski Hwy, Pine Island, NY – silver Toyota Matrix – NY license plate DDB5454 who managed to stay between my car and a minivan for a short time before speeding off in the heavy rain and passing the minivan in one of the 45mph passing zones. They just kept going at well over the 45mph speed limit.
- 7.24.2007 at 0827 – Pulaski Hwy, Pine Island, NY – white Honda Civic – NJ license plate VGU538 who in lieu of being unable to pass, tailgated me so close I could not see his headlights in the rear view mirror.
- 7.25.2007 at 0751 – Pulaski Hwy, Pine Island, NY – maroon Toyota 4Runner – NY license plate BYK2774 who decided at the last passing opportunity to pull out and pass both myself and the pickup truck behind me. Surprisingly, the Chevy behind me stayed there all the way through Pine Island, enjoying the new speed limit just as I was. However when the 4Runner peaked out and saw only one car oncoming they went for it and continued to drive away at well over the posted 45mph speed limit. It should be noted that there were at least 8 vehicles in line behind my car, they wouldn’t have caught up to me had they been doing any of the posted speed limits.
- 7.30.2007 at 7:26am – Pulaski Hwy, Pine Island, NY – new silver Nissan Pathfinder, NY plate AFM8976. Passed me in the 45 zone, kept going. Eventually caught up in the 55mph zone where they demonstrated a keen lack of ability to maintain any speed limit.
- 8.1.2007 at 7:49am – Pulaski Hwy, Pine Island, NY – shiny new black Saab, NY DEALER license plate 8175077. First tailgated me through the first two straightaway passing zones before finally passing me in the third right after the S-Turn and kept going on their way to Goshen, pulling off on Pumpkin Swamp for Florida. There’s a Saab dealer in Florida – I wonder what the policy is on driving home a demo, ‘eh? As I reached the end of the 45mph zone, a rusty old Subaru wagon caught up in a hurry, look at me, book-ended by morons.
- 8.2.2007 at 7:50am – Pulaski Hwy, Pine Island, NY – early/mid 90’s green Ford Crown Victoria, NJ license plate VP403W. First saw this guy pass a car on his way into the 45mph zone in my rear view mirror, he proceeded to catch up to me at about 60mph, pass after the S-Curve before Quaker Creek, then continue off at 55-60mph. I managed to catch up to him before Pumpkin Swamp and snap this picture of the license plate.
- 8.2.2007 at 5:29pm – Pulaski Hwy, Pine Island, NY – New GM / Chevy Pickup, fire department lights on the roof, fire department vanity plate on the front, NY license plate BYM5549. Didn’t tailgate, but decided to pass just before the end of the 45mph zone approaching Pine Island nontheless. Oddly enough, with my cruise control set to 45 he got ahead a few carlengths and continued to do 45-50mph. Why bother passing? If his lights were on I’d gladly have pulled aside – but they weren’t.
The list grows daily, my commute is about 15 minutes flat – within that span I usually see at least 2 cars passing in the 45. Since the speed limit dropped I have seen no enforcement. With the amount of traffic on that road, state and local authorities are missing out on an absolute cash cow here… Now I’ve slowed down – it’s true, but a majority of vehicles on this road still completely disregard the speed limit from the stoplight in Pine Island all the way until they reach the Goshen line.